Friday, June 13, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars & Discovering a Blissful Life

Recently, some friends and I went to see The Fault in Our Stars, a beautiful and moving (and heartbreaking) story of two star-crossed lovers with cancer, based upon John Green's novel.

By the end of the movie most people were crying. But the entire time I couldn't help but think of someone I love dying from cancer. I feel like almost everyone is touched by cancer at some point, whether it be an aunt, a grandma, or a friend. Luckily, no one I love has been affected by cancer. That is a huge blessing, but at the same time I can't help but wonder when this deadly disease will weasel its way into my life.

At times like these when worry floods my mind, I turn to my faith as a way to lessen the stomach churning stress. I feel confident in saying that I need not worry because whatever happens is meant to be.  I know that whatever life throws at me, I have family and friends who will stand by me. And most importantly, I have my faith in Christ to turn to. These three things combined will be able to get me through anything.

But more importantly, TFIOS taught me to embrace everyday and its challenges. As previously mentioned, my life has stayed cancer-free in every aspect, but I have faced a year of challenges health-wise. Not knowing if I would wake up feeling great or wake up in pain made me grateful for every good day I have had this year.

Before I was diagnosed with interstitial cystitis, a disease which causes chronic pain and inflammation in the bladder lining and pelvic region, I had never imagined what life would be like to constantly be in pain, or what it would be like to have my body seemingly turn against me. None of these thoughts had crossed my mind. But now I sympathize with everyone who struggles with health problems and have personally learned that diseases that are seemingly invisible are just as bad, if not worse, than diseases that make their presence fully known.

So, in short, my readers, embrace life. Embrace it fully and wholly, the good with the bad. Smile when life is gracious to you and smile when it is cruel. Optimism is the most important quality to have, after all.



No comments:

Post a Comment