Sunday, November 16, 2014

Learning to Embrace Change

I'll admit it, I hate change. Once I settle down and find something that I like, I want to stick with it for as long as possible. If change is to happen, I want it to happen on my time schedule and on my terms.

The past few years of my life has resulted in a lot of change. I moved four hundred miles away from my hometown, lost old friends, gained new ones, fell in love, graduated from high school, ended up in a college and major that I never would have pictured myself in - the list could go on for days. The person that I am today has very little in common with the person I was several years ago or even several weeks ago. I am in a constant state of change, yet struggle with the acceptance of it.

But throughout the seasons of my life, the one thing that has always stuck with me is a verse from Jeremiah.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 

As a flawed human being that hates change, I also hate not holding the key to my future. It's one thing to preach about trusting God, but it's another thing to live it. And for me, accepting that my future does not fall into my hands, but His hands, has been a difficult journey.

See, I was that kid in elementary school, while my classmates were talking about being princesses and astronauts, who wanted to be a doctor. And that was that. I would grow up in Hurricane, West Virginia, be friends with my friends forever, and become a doctor. Settled.

But then life, or rather, God, threw me a curve ball. Two years later, I'm living in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, attending MTSU and studying journalism. Talk about a change of plans.

But that's what I'm finally understanding: plans change, people change, nothing stays the same.

As humans, we were created for adaptation and evolution. Change is what has kept our species alive for millions of years. When we experience change, we must accept it and learn to better ourselves because of it. And even though change is hard and it's easier to dig our heels in and reject the new and scary things coming our way, we must not - I must not. Why should I? Why should I be worried about things that are out of my control? Especially when the One who knows my future is the One who created me, flaws and all, the One who has laid a future before me, a future filled with so many beautiful things.

When I take a step back and reflect on my life and fully realize that my steps are being guided by the creator of the universe, it's humbling.

It's so incredible knowing that no matter where I'm guided, I will forever have the promise of a hopeful future from my God. And that alone is enough to give me peace about the days to come.







No comments:

Post a Comment